Sunday, October 07, 2007

Soul Food

I haven't blogged much about the new restaurant and the behind the scenes stuff. Just a couple examples are the menu sampling nights every Thursday, where our family and usually 5 other people ate what we were considering using on the menu. Josh (the chef) and I cooked together for 3 hours each of those days, making doughs, pastas, and desserts from the foundation up. There were also Bible study nights, where I tried new desserts. Countless trips to the grocery store, so much licensing legwork, utilities to hook up and decor to be planned and purchased. Scott and Lori handled all that stuff. Mat has researched food industry service and management ideas, and Ben has written up the coffee service menu, along with descriptions of how to make the items. Briant (the cafe owner who sold us the place) has provided valuable advice, and given us pointers on navigating the licensing and day to day operations.

This has been so much work, and it looks like the load will be so much heavier now that we're open. As clients have packed the restaurant at times over the last two days, and we've been crazy busy in the kitchen, I've wondered how we got into this restauranteur position with no experience. I've thought that it's one thing to plan for and another thing to have people to serve. It can be overwhelming for someone like me, who isn't a risk taker. But I also find it exciting to be in the kitchen, things swirling around me, my brain ticking to time things just right (I really need to work on that).

Josh and I were talking yesterday about what I like about this. I used to be a person who ate only to exist and ate only a few kinds of items - just ask my mother who had to deal with my peculiarities. But lately I have been enjoying the array of flavours that come with taking a chance in the kitchen. For me, I see the relationships and memories and emotions that happen when people gather together over the table. I enjoy being part of that experience, through the food that is provided. It is warmth to the soul. Josh calls it fellowship.

Last night I had a moving moment during church. Instead of being on stage this week, I was helping in the kitchen. I missed being out there, but we had people to feed on our first club night in the place. I could hear the music in the kitchen, and Josh and I were singing along to the songs. We had moments of our church in there too. I could hear enthusiasm and comradery, as I have on many occasions. I was feeding them. It was community. This is what we have hoped for with club, and it continues to be that.

I don't know what God has in mind for this business and this ministry. It may succeed in measurable standards, or it may not. We'll move with what we figure He says to do. That's all we can do, and let Him take care of the rest.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home