Sunday, January 07, 2007

Tradition

Since I'm in a new relationship with a blended family, I don't know yet what our Christmas and birthday traditions are. They are just beginning to form, and this year we didn't have full opportunity to set our own. Scott was busy working Christmas week, and we were busy with extended family. It won't be that way every year. We blended some things, like putting my feminine decorations on the tree alongside the Coke cans and macaroni box that the guys use every year. It was a blend of woman meets bachelors. Christmas morning we were all woken up with the raunchy song Ben blasts on the stereo. We had turkey and pumpkin pie.
It was busy birthday season, with mine starting the run on the 13th. Then my mom's was December 22nd, and Matthew's December 30th. In there was Scott's dad's (from afar) of December 15th.
Due to the timing of my birthday and that I like a fresh Christmas tree, Scott arranged for us to get our tree that day. Some people don't like mixing occasions, but to me it was more special. I like Christmas and the beauty of it. That's why I like Miracle on 34th Street (the remake). The colours and sounds are so beautiful, and the sentiment so delicate. It's a break from reality in to the world where good things can happen. So, to be surprised on my day by going out to get a tree was great. And beforehand I was treated to lunch with mom, Scott, Lori, and Matthew. What could be better? Maybe the chocolate cake at the end of a nice dinner. Yes, I had it all.
Here's a picture from my birthday tradition. It's my favorite picture of the holidays.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home