Saturday, January 20, 2007

Teriyaki Sauce Recipe

I've blogged before about watching cooking shows. I'm going to join some of the people who blog recipes, though how often I'm not sure. Maybe once a week. If you have any good ones, let me know. The first one is thick teriyaki sauce.
We cook wings once a week, and they have to be teriyaki. We like them cooked to a fall apart stage, which not everyone does. First I put paprika and salt on them, broil on each side for a while (until the skin shrinks a bit), then turn the oven down to 350 and cook for at least another hour. Sounds crazy, but the sauce is less slimy and the meat isn't tough. We usually use bottled sauce at $4.50/bottle (we use almost the whole thing by the time the meat is done). I found this recipe for much cheaper, and it rivals the packaged stuff. 5 minutes and you can be done the sauce. Here it is:

1/4 cup soy sauce
1 cup water
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
5 tablespoons packed brown sugar
1-2 tablespoon honey
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1/4 cup cold water

Mix all but cornstarch and 1/4c water in a sauce pan and begin heating. Mix cornstarch and cold water in a cup and dissolve. Add to sauce in pan. Heat until sauce thickens to desired thickness. Add water to thin if you over-thicken it.

Comments:
Lori's got the right idea. Mom
 
I found this quite amusing... I have the problem of being unable to find a bottled teriyaki that's suitably thick... all of them seem to be just thin, almost soy sauce like marinades. I found a recipe online I liked and kept looking, just in case. I stumbled across this page, which I liked. Than I realized it was word for word the exact same recipe I had already found... I think it's fate and I'm sticking with this recipe! Hope it works out!
 
OMG did it ever work! I found it on another site where someone recommended you could instead use equal parts honey to soy sauce if you didn't have cornstarch, and I also used real ginger freshly grated and fresh garlic, and it was DIVINE.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home