Sunday, December 03, 2006

Mission

Our church meets at a cafe, called Main Street Cafe. This is a new place for us, though not for the business.They've been around for five years.
Lately business hasn't been as good, and it's been causing some stress for the owner. We like him, and we like the environment for the Saturday night 'services'. So we decided to do something to help.
Now, when the topic came up I have to admit I was hesitant. I find life busy, and taking on something extra for no certain result was more than I could imagine when we first starting talking. But the others in our home group inspired me by their example. They stated that as Christians it is our place to help those who we can, and that is how they viewed helping the cafe. So we brainstormed what we could do to bring encouragement and perhaps some cash to lift the spirits of the owner and give him hope.
We're getting in deep now. We've painted for 5 full nights, and next we'll be decorating. We have no experience as restauranteers, but we're game to be a sounding board regarding menu, provide a menu format (Scott), bounce ideas around for marketing changes, organize some events to bring in business. We don't have the answers, but we're game to put in some extra time there once in a while. Well, at the beginning perhaps a lot.
I learned something about being "the feet" of Christ on that first night that we talked about this. I realized I'm more reluctant than some others at times, and for that I was ashamed. My level of commitment wasn't as open as theirs. It taught me.
So now I'm rolling with it, and in deep...perhaps too deep, but that's how I do things. I'm excited and tired at the same time.
This might not result in any great benefit for the Cafe, but it's an attempt. And a good lesson about being involved in what happens around us.

Comments:
maybe it takes you longer to decide because it is a deeper commitment...
 
Post a Comment



<< Home