Saturday, September 16, 2006

Only One

In about 1996 I was exposed to the song that contained the following lyrics (if I remember correctly):
One body, one spirit, one Lord, one faith. One God and Father over all. One spirit, He gave us, One life (or something like that) to serve. One God and Father over all. And I say only One can wash away. All my guilt and all my shame. Only one can make me whole. Enter Lord, You're the only one.
I don't think I have that perfect, but something like that.
When I first heard this song I thought "catchy"; "meaningful". I remembered times of singing similar themed songs in teen years and holding hands across the church. Not everyone is into that, but I didn't mind.
You know how people have signature songs? The guy who sang that song played it over and over. I began to tease him about it, and he moved on to other songs. One day, a couple years later I requested he do it again, and he initially thought I was joking. But I was serious. Once in a while it's good to be reminded that we are all from one family and we have one purpose in Christ. To show Him in any way we can as we are His followers.
I remember the competitive nature between the church of my youth and another similar church in town. I had friends at both churches. The other church seemed more aggressive in asking people to come to it, when we had interchurch gatherings. It grew more quickly than my church. It began to feel like we were on opposing sports teams rather than the same team.
Sometimes church is like business. When I was in the bank, we wanted the clients that other banks had. We wanted to grow our business, and we believed we had good things to offer. In reality, most financial institutions are the same, and very their perks at different times, or sometimes at the same time. If we could have had all the banking business in town the institution would have been happy, because it would have meant more money and more security. It's the same in other businesses. One clothing store wants their existing clientele plus all the clients that another clothing store is trying for. You get the picture. The church should be different, but in the push for more money for the bills and to increase the crowd of people we hang out with and to show that we each are part of the "cool" church to be at, we promo. We try to get people to switch allegiances.
Well, when I say "we" I don't mean everyone. I don't want to stereotype every lace and everyone. But I want to make some points.
Church is for anyone and everyone. Your place isn't the same as mine. Mine isn't better or cooler. It's just different. There is room for yours and mine and the next guy's. I don't want to go to a megachurch, so I'm glad there are choices and options. I might not always like where I'm going as I change throughout life, and might need a different approach in order to understand and relate to where God is bringing me. That's okay.
It's about one body. We aren't rival banks or clothing stores. We have common purpose and a common reward for our labour. Sometimes we forget that in church divisions and leadership scuttlebutt and choirs splitting over what Christmas contatta to sing. Right now the main thing I think of is to Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peave. And be thankful. Let the word of Christ dwell in your richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdon, and as you sing songs with gratitude in your hearts to God. And whatever you do, wether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to the Father through Him. (Colossians 3:15-17)

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home