Monday, January 02, 2006

My boy

Yesterday Matthew and I watched Cheaper By the Dozen 2. I was one of those sucky parents who got misty eyed 4 times, trying to hide my shivering chin so that we wouldn't get embarrassed. I'm a suck.
It was about letting the kids grow up and make their own choices. During one scene Steve Martin was getting his daughter to pace out a distance for him. As she started walking he said "Those steps are too small". She wanted to ask his permission to go on her first date, and as she got up the courage he stopped mid-sentence. "Those steps are"..."Dad, can I go to the movie tonight?"..."too big". I knew what the writer were saying. When your child is small they need so much from you. Feeding, burping, changing, modelling speech, laughter. Baby steps. As they grow their steps become bigger and bigger. They used to have a hard time keeping up with you, but after a while they are striding ahead of you. They don't need you like they used to. It's a good thing, but scary at times.
I know I'll have a lot of things to deal with as Matthew grows and continues to form his own identity. Need I talk about puberty? As we grow together and apart, and his steps become bigger, I will still remember the first steps he took. It's a parent's privilege.

I love you Matthew. You are God's gift to me.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home