Wednesday, January 18, 2006

I never realized how bad it was

I'm klutzy. 15 years ago I knew this, and told a fellow worker. She didn't seem to believe me much, until later that day while bending over to get my bag I didn't notice how close the corner of my eye was to the corner of the counter. A little bang and tiny cut prompted her to say "How did you do that? You really are clumsy!"
Another time I was carrying bank files from the back hallway of the branch into the customer service area, but behind it where the desks are. I was happily singing as I walked and looked at a coworker...as I promptly ran into a desk with my legs and the files splayed over it and the person sitting there. Never saw that one coming!
Then there was the time years ago that I was running out of the house and with my left hand pushed on the glass portion of the storm door while pressing on the latch with my right hand. Except I think I pushed on the door with the left hand first, because it didn't open. Instead my hand and head went through the glass, slicing my wrist down to the bone. My legs hit the metal portion, which caused the most immediate pain that I needed to attend to, until the gaping wound was discovered and mom threw a bath towel around my wrist, yanked it in the air, and got the neighbour to drive me to the doctor while I was thinking "Are they going to have to amputate?" Oh, I'm not dramatic. I still bear the scar today, though it isn't a long one.
Then there was the time my tall girlfriend and I were skating in my back yard and we agreed it would be fun to take a run at the snow bank and dive into it. I tried to clarify "Fall in, or jump far?" Before the answer was said she yelled "Let's go", we skated as fast as I could, and the skate blade up and down my face told me she meant jump as far as we could. She was way taller than me, therefore jumped way further. That was another trip to the hospital for stitches in the face, by the same doctor who stitched my wrist months earlier. See a trend?
Well, Saturday while setting up for church we came up with the idea of putting seating on the stage and the band down below. We were figuring out what would work best, and I couldn't bear the thought of the tall stools being near the edge of the stage. Lori looked at me like I was an idiot when I told her that it wouldn't work because I was afraid people would fall off the stage when they were goofing off or moving the stool to get up. But she graciously agreed. She was glad she did, when later I showed her what it's like to be around someone who isn't too graceful.
I went to sit down beside her on the low couch. The cushion compressed, and it (or my hip) knocked over a coffee mug that was on the floor. Simultaneously I moved my hand in exclamation of shock, and it knocked her beverage, which spilled on the couch. I got a two for one shot! She laughed (too much) and told me I was right about being clumsy.
I think it opened up a whole new world for her. I'm glad I could expand her horizon, and look forward to the opportunity to expose her to such diversity again. Lori, next time you better be wearing latex clothing!

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home