Friday, July 08, 2005

The storms of life

Take a look at this Scripture in Romans 5, to see what emotions being with Christ invokes in the Christian:
Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we:
• have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have gained access by faith into this grace in which we now stand.
• rejoice in the hope of the glory of God.
rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope. And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out his love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom he has given us.


Man, the bold part of this scripture really sucks. Rejoice in our sufferings?
I know a number of people lately who have been feeling discouraged, perhaps distant from God, upset at others, their situations, themselves. In fact, when I tried to think of the names of people that I personally know who fall into this category it took me 5 seconds to come up with 7 names. That's scary.
Many times it seems I've been holding up an umbrella, waiting for the storms to subside. One after another they rolled in. You know what I'm talking about. An umbrella is useless in those kind of storms. So I cower, wrapping my coat around my knees to keep warm. I cry out "When will you stop!!!!!!!!!" It's not a questions really. It's a demand. I whine about it not being fair for the storms to continue. They're ruining my life.
I see a big tree. The ground underneath it is dry, because the tree is so strong, thick, dense. To get to it means to have to run, to perhaps slip in the mud, to get even wetter and dirtier. It seems like a far way off. My umbrella is almost shredded so it will be no good. I can stay and roll tighter and rock back and forth to generate heat. There is not much more I am willing to take. Did you notice that I said "am willing", not "can". Sure, when I'm saying it the word can is used. You know. What choice will I make? To wait until all is passed, after being buffeted, or to run.

To run? Yes. To Race through the storm, slip in the mud, pick up my hurt and slimy body, let the rain and hail pummel me, knowing that I will soon be at safety. Get out of my own place and move. Go to the shelter. Ahhhh, dry land.
Wait, is that another person in the storm? They're lost and can't see the way. What will I do now?

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home