Friday, July 01, 2005

Duke Harris

The first time I visited New Heights was just after Duke died. I never knew him. That first morning I recall how things were set up in the cafeteria and some of the people at the front, squished into the corner of the room. Scott spoke about Duke and the impact of his death upon the young friends who sat with Scott on the sloping hill at the hospital as they mourned. I don't remember what else the sermon was about, but I recall the love in memory.
Some people impact your life, even after they've gone. It was obvious that day that Duke was a kind, selfless young man. I still hear about him and those who say his name say it tenderly. When I look at Angie and Bill I can't help but think that he was like them. Considerate, patient, witty, brimming with integrity.
Life is never over, even after the blood runs cold. Maybe one day you and I can be a Duke Harris. That sounds like a good thing.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home