Thursday, May 26, 2005

Unusable?

I'm getting ready to move. Sorting through belongings, packing those that will be kept, throwing out those that are not really needed or I won't have room for. In emailing a friend about it, she understood the moving experience all too well. She wrote "there is nothing more depressing than seeing your stuff, which just days before seemed perfectly adequate, spread out on the lawn in full daylight. The dust, the dings... sometimes makes me wish I could just put a garage sale sign up and get rid of it all!" Can you identify?
Does this feel like our life when we seem sprawled out on the lawn? Sometimes we feel raw and exposed, sitting in the sun, waiting to be packed up for the next place. Feeling like we're in danger of being discarded totally. Previously we felt lovely and useful, but suddenly our dings and scratches look ugly. We want to cover them up. We may be utilitarian, but we're not pretty. Sometimes we don't even feel like we are useful to anyone.

Hosea put it well:
I'll call nobodies and make them somebodies;
I'll call the unloved and make them beloved.
In the place where they yelled out, "You're nobody!"
they're calling you "God's living children."
(Romans 9:25-26)

I'm smiling. Are you?

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home