Monday, May 16, 2005

Mother's Day

I never said what we did for this past Mother's Day. The night before Matthew said he wanted to give me breakfast in bed, so I prepared the items for him to bring me. Being 7, he would need some help. It was his idea to cook me eggs and toast all by himself, but the image of him handling the stove all by himself when he is easily distracted was too much for me. So, what's the next best breakfast...Honeycomb! I set out the bed tray with the bowls, spoons, cereal and bread for the toaster. The toast part would be nerve-racking enough. The next morning Matthew let me sleep in and I waited a LONG time for breakfast because he was occupied with a computer game. I could hear him munching on multitudes of Honeycomb, wondering if there would be any left for me. When I almost couldn't wait for breakfast anymore, he came in with the cereal and tray, proud to serve me. That waned a bit thin when I asked him to butter the broken toast that he took out of the plugged-in toaster with a fork (aaahhhhhh!!!!!!). Finally he just brought me the skewered toast and a tub of margarine and I helped myself.
On the way out the door to Flashpoint I gave Matthew $20 from his piggy bank to spend on dinner for me/us. Hint, hint.


After the rock climbing, we agreed on a nice Mexican restaurant where we had a lovely date. Matthew asked the waiter for a water refill for me, and also asked him for the bill at the end of the meal. When he went to the till, he proudly spilled all his toonies and loonies on the counter, and the server watched them spin around. Matthew said "I'm going to get so much change back" as he smiled in anticipation. The ringing of the till ended in $20.83. I kicked in a few bucks, and explained that there was no change coming. He said "Mom, you're going to put money in my piggy bank to pay for this, right?" I said no.
Don't think I'm mean. I'm teaching him how to be selfless. Let me see. A dollar a week for allowance times 20 weeks. So, he spent 38% of his annual income on that dinner. If his adult income was $30,000 per year that would be an $11,400 dinner. I guess I'm worth it.
Hmmm...maybe I'll bump his allowance to $5 for a while but just not tell him.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home