Friday, April 01, 2005

The Lord's Supper

Here is the other Easter post, as promised.

Last Sunday at church we had communion. It was a simply set up on a couple of tables, for people to come help themselves to. Matthew has taken communion before, and we have had a few discussions to ensure he understands the significance. Especially that it is a remembering, not a literal eating of the body and drinking of the blood. Okay, that part sounded kind of gros.
Matthew and I lined up patiently and helped ourselves to the "elements", then sat down in our chairs. I noticed the piece of Matthew's French bread that he tore off the loaf was a bit large. I showed him my bite-sized piece and explained that for communion a tiny piece was sufficient. As I say that now, it has strayed so far from the original meal in the Bible, but then so have we as a culture.
After Matthew ate the bread, he said "Mom, that doesn't taste like a body". I looked at him curiously, hoping he was just joking. We sat waiting for the rest of the congregation to finish sharing in the elements. Matthew whispered to me "Some people are going up for seconds. Let's go!" Shock number two. I told him that people don't have seconds at communion, and we were quiet again. Then the silence was interrupted by him insisting "I've seen these people go up twice. Let's get seconds!" Well, then I started to wonder if he saw something I didn't, and began to examine the people in case I had seen their face up there before. You just never know! And no, we didn't get seconds. But next time.......

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home