Saturday, April 23, 2005

At mid-point of a lazy morning, the doorbell rang. We noticed no car in the driveway, so perhaps it was a solicitation. We waited to see if the person would stay or go, because answering the door was not on the energy list that morning. The person on the other side of the door waited patiently for a couple of minutes before ringing again. Not aggressively, not impatiently. So, I composed myself to answer the door and when I opened it no one was there. At the end of the driveway I saw a middle aged woman with a calm manner about her. I said "Can I help you?" With a gentle manner she replied "I was wondering if I could have this pop can out of your recycling?" I smiled and said "Sure" while she gently moved aside the papers in the recycling bag, not spilling anything, to remove the pop can and deposit it into her cart of belongings. I was thankful for the opportunity to meet her and have her share her gracefulness with me.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home