Saturday, March 05, 2005

Report Cards

Today my sister and I were talking about our elementary report cards. We are very different people in some ways, as was evidenced then as well. Her teacher said that she rushed her assignments, thinking she will run out of time. In actuality, she was among the first to finish, and throughout school still didn't change that behaviour. She never sacrificed quality, but if she could find an inventive way of doing it quicker she would. She finds that even now her perception of time is different from it's reality.
Throughout the early elementary years I received comments that though my work was done very thoroughly and well, I needed to have more sense of urgency about it. In a work environment I am now quick to learn and complete projects, but certainly not the speediest. For me it's important to enjoy the process and be convinced that things couldn't have been done better at the end result. I will double-check the work from another angle. Time is still relative to the enjoyment that is found within the movement of it (yes, that means I'm always late for things).
It's interesting that, though we all as people adapt and change over our lifetime, there are certain constants. Some things don't change, and perhaps there are a number of things we can see as patterns in our lives. Weird to think that a grade one report card can be connected to the behaviours of people when in their 40s.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home