Wednesday, March 02, 2005

Hide and Seek

At a children's literacy course not too long ago, I learned one thing. It's hard to remember more than one thing from any course or sermon...know where I'm coming from? The "enlightenment" was that a child has to hear a word an average of 100 times in order to properly learn it. How many more times do they need to hear a concept in order to understand and apply it?
Recently I re-read a portion of "Welcome to the Funny Farm". The author tells a story about her young daughter, who during hide and seek always chooses the same two places in the house. Her husband makes a big deal out of trying to find her, like he doesn't know where she is. He knows where to find her, but allows her time to "be hidden". The author then relates this to God. Here's a quote:
"When I'm hurting or confused or rebellious, sometimes I try to hide from God. But you know what? I always hide in the same places. I always run to the same old sins or distractions and try to hide behind them. I think I'm so clever, as if my heavenly Father doesn't know my tricks already. Like he doesn't know where to find me.
But the truth is that he knows where I am and, like the loving dad that he is, he's willing to give me a little bit of time until I'm ready to be found. He lets me play my game until I get sort of cramped and lonely in that secret place of mine, and then he can't wait to scoop me into his loving arms."



Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home