Friday, February 11, 2005

Supper with Matthew

First of all, to those who are wondering when Matthew's tonsillectomy is, I found out today the wait list is 6-9 months. Wow! When I told him he said "Good".

On to the main story. At supper the other night Matthew was sitting on the side edge of his chair, one foot on the floor, as all the children here seem to do. It's always a conversation 20 times a day, because there are 4-5 children here every day. Sit in the middle of your chair. Keep your feet off the floor. Put your plate in front of you. You see, they put one foot on the floor at the side of the chair, so that they're basically standing with one butt cheek still resting on the chair. Then they push a bit with the standing leg. Well, soon enough their plates are on one side of the table and their chairs have migrated next to the wall or some other direction away from their plates. I could almost play a game of musical food with them. Oh man, I got lost in another story again.
Okay, so Matthew was doing that. But he was also tipping his chair to one side and then back down again. I had my head down cutting my food and I said "Stop tipping your chair." He was amazed. "Mom, you weren't looking at me - how did you know that I was doing that?" Apparently he knows nothing about the fact that a tipping chair makes noise that can be heard from one foot away. That plus I could see it. I said "Matthew, it's called peripheral vision. When you look straight ahead, you can still see to the sides a bit. Plus, when women have children they also change so that they can see what's behind them as well. It's true even when they adopt their children." I said this with a straight face of course. Matthew asked "Mom, can men do this when they become fathers?" I said, "Perhaps a little, but probably not as well."
How gullible was that?

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home