Thursday, January 27, 2005

Who is He to You?

"Whom do you say I am?" This is a question our Lord asked, and still asks today. I remember in Bible school, being taught that with the things Jesus did a person could come to only one of three conclusions: Liar, Lord, or Lunatic. Then there is "I am that I am". "The Alpha and Omega." "The beginning and the end." You can't get much more all-encompassing than that. Many of us ascribe "human characteristics" to God. I can think of some prevalent ones (two of which will be mentioned here), and wonder which brings more imagery to your personal relationship with Him.
Some people have a father/child relationship. They call God "daddy" when they pray. They feel nurtured and looked after by someone loving who is bigger and stronger than they could ever be. A friend once told me that a man told him "God is your daddy". That struck a note with him, because he didn't have a dad who was proud of him, and that day He realized God was proud of Him no matter what his life brought. It revolutionalized his relationship with God the Father.
For me, the image of Jesus the strong brother creates warmth. Older, bigger, protective, nurturing. Sometimes I picture myself sitting on His lap, legs curled up in my arms, His arms around me. Loved and accepted. Safe from harm, full of peace that such shelter brings. It's been with me since early teenage years, after my earthly brother died. I guess that's why the image is so meaningful to me.
It is beautiful how God has unique relationships with each of us. How we personalizes himself in our lives in different ways. And sometimes our images and identities of Him change as we change. We need different things at different times, and He is capable of being everything we need at any time. When we let Him.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home