Thursday, January 06, 2005

Tough Day at Work

Man, today was difficult. With the snow, the kids were excited. They were loud and rowdy. What was the worst part was that I "had to" go out in the snow and play with them. These are the stressful moments in my job, but I'm a selfless person who never begrudges such ardour.
At this point in time you know I'm sarcastic, right? Let me tell you how the outside time went today, and what I discovered about myself.
In the morning there wasn't enough snow to make a snowman, so we made a couple of snow angels instead. Well, the kids did. I was intent on having a snowball fight with them, and since their ages are 3, 3, and 5 the odds of winning were stacked in my favour. I tried to give them lots of chances and run wimpily (yes that's a real word) while they tried to loft tiny snowballs at me. I spared them injury by throwing weakly (but accurately) at them. When we were on the side deck by the patio door, I became inspired. I began to use the snow from the picnic table to make lots of snowballs. Stocking up. I didn't explain what I was doing to the innocent children, because I wanted the snowballs all for myself. My own gattling gun, let's just say. Then they noticed what I was doing and had this wimpy, non-competitive idea to throw them all at the patio door. At first I said no (because it had just been cleaned the day before) but then I paused to live through the brain of a child. Some days that's not a stretch for me. I thought "let's do it!" and we catapulted the snowballs at the door. Of course I had to see if I could hit the exact same spot on the door every time. I won't tell you how that went. It was great fun for the children.
I learned a couple of things about myself, neither of which are really new.
1) I can give up something I want (and inside whine about it)
2) I'm competitive, even with children! Argghhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home