Tuesday, November 16, 2004

Simple Acts

As we live our daily lives we never know the affects on those around us. A seemingly simple act or kindness takes on a different meaning to the recipient.
Today I had a conversation with a woman I have come to know on the level of preliminary friendship. A few weeks ago her son spent the day with us, and I had cooked a roast that afternoon. It was important that the roast be done by 5:00 due to evening commitments. I took the roast out just as she came to the door. I said "Wait while I get you some, because I don't need all of it tonight and I know how hard it is to go home and think about cooking after a long day of work." Seemingly simple and relatively meaningless gesture. She was happy, expressed appreciation, and the next day thanked me again. Today she expressed a different form of thankfulness.
Over the last few days I've found out more of her personal life story. As she cried she told me about that night. The only food she had in her house that day was bread, and she didn't know what she was going to feed the kids. A simple act became a powerful one to her, and to me as I listened.
How many things have we done or been inclined to do, thinking that it was not much? It is awesome how God takes these things and spins them for Him. The small things become great.
Many years ago a friend told me he had struck up a friendship with someone from our old home town. It was a young woman, about 2 years younger than me, whose brother I had gone to elementary and junior high school with. I knew the woman a bit, but didn't think I had much impact on her. We weren't close friends nor did we travel in common circles often. My friend told me that this woman had become a Christian along her life's path, after she had moved away from home. She told him that I was a major influence in her decision. I was surprised and humbled. How could I have impacted her and not realized it?
People watch. People listen. They're hurting and we don't even realize. Simple acts of kindness mean more than we imagine.
I'm sure you all know scripture verses that relate to these stories, and feel free to post them.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home