Saturday, November 06, 2004

Len

Last year when Len lay in the hospital I sent this email to Scott, talking about the impact of that morning in church. I read this at Len's funeral and kept the compositon as part of my journal, in memory of him. If you don't know him or the church it may not be as meaningful to you, but it is meaningful to me.

This morning I saw the miracle and "purpose" in what is happening to Len. Many people say that God can provide a miracle and Len can live and even recover more than anticipated. That can be. But we don't need that in order to see what amazing things God is doing out of this. Perhaps I'm not making sense.
This morning in church was an amazing God time. Len brought unification of purpose and emotions to the church, making it a family...a "real" church. We were all feeling the same pain, loving the same person, caring for each other. There was no agenda, no competition, no grandstanding. The music team was immersed in worship and humbled by the finiteness yet the blessing of life.
This morning as I saw those embracing throughout the church I was amazed at how many lives Len has touched. he truly has shown Christ. More so, I see him as a child. His enthusiasm for...anything...and his love for anyone, sometimes to his detriment. Right now I see this little child yearning to hold God, and God yearning to hold him. I suppose even now the embrace is happening, though I don't fully understand it. No separation...nothing remaining...nothing to distract. It's a miracle.
You see, some pray for a miracle. I've seen it. To me it's not recovery of his body or awakening of his body. Some pray for him to be revived to be a further witness for Christ. If that is to be, the Selah. Today though I saw his testimony...his witness..his purpose. That we may all stop from the distractions of our own problems and love someone who has loved us more than we could ever express back. I guess it does sound like Christ.


I miss you, Len. I miss your laugh, smile, bounce, musicianship, ravenous consumption of that whole plate of chocolate chip cookies that I thought would be enough for 4 people, and the joy in your heart when you gave Matthew a present for Christmas. You have touched my life with the simplicity of your love and acceptance. May we all learn to be like this.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home