Wednesday, October 20, 2004

Names

Sushi wrote about name and identity. Her post was serious, thoughtful, and powerful. I too have some names besides the one given at my birth. There are many versions of pet names for Annette. Annetski, Nestki, Nettie are the most common. There is a nickname that most of you don't know about. Here's the story.
In grade 6 I used to compete for top grades with a boy named Ken Cormier. He was from a family of smart kids, and he was definitely bright. I think there was some rivalry in his opinion, because he designed a name for me - fish lips. Do you know how many years it took for me to find out? At least 4! Ken and I began to attend the same church in the following years, we became great friends, he played piano for me all the time, and then one day I found out. Betrayal! How could he keep such a great name from me all these years!
By the way, if you ever want to know why he called me that, take a look at how narrow my lips are. Kind of like a guppy.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home