Saturday, August 28, 2004

To Live Life

Rose made a comment on sky diving on my "All the Way" blog. She witnessed something firsthand (presumably a death) which has prevented her from trying something which, knowing Rose a bit, would be freeing to her. She would absolutely be PSYCHED by it! This is in no way a criticism of Rose, for I am the same in many things in life. After I replied to her comment it occupied me more deeply. I have to talk about this.
For fear of death, we don't live. We don't experience letting go. We don't experience freedom. We don't embrace life, except with a choke hold that paralyzes us.. Those who have no fear of death embrace life and sometimes live recklessly. We call it a death wish. Maybe it is in some cases. But there are those, like me at times, who in so avoiding risks that lead to death sometimes are the walking dead.
I was in the 1994 LA quake. I still get anxious when traffic stops in or under a bridge. Has one collapsed on me? No. Will one collapse on me? Maybe, maybe not. But I re-live the fear and the death on too many occasions. So really, I have died many times inside in doing this. And death is the one thing I have been trying to avoid. No, that isn't accurate. It's maiming and pain that I've been trying to avoid. Rose, so have you. Who else has been? And yet, in the coping mechanisms we are using we are experiencing it far more times and far more significantly than if we would just give in.

I'm too old to be learning these things now. They can't be perpetuated any more.

Comments:
i remember hearing a speaker say, 'to get to the end of your life and realize that you have never truly lived'. it has often haunted me.
campolo says, 'we used to pray 'if i should die before i live. maybe we should write, if i should wake before i die.'

i hate to say this but i think you might be 'getting it'. explain it to me when you do...
 
i'm not afraid of death (it can only take mr face to face with God), i'm afraid of leaving my children when they still need me. 8)
Rose
 
p.s.
you're probably right, it would psych me. i enjoy soaring in a glider with the canopy open. i love the wind, and the fact that there is no engine noise.
Rose
 
I'm terrified of snakes. Was raised in the Okanagan and saw a friend get bit by a rattler. She was in hospital for months, took a year for her to really get better. Will I ever overcome that fear? Don't know that I want to. Some fear is beneficial to our continued existence.
 
i am terrified of spiders, of any size, & have been for as long as i can remember. when i was a little kid every night for years a spider as big as a house chased me (i was the size of the head of a pin) in my nightmares. in the morning i would leap as far away from my bed as i could so the spiders lurking beneath my bed couldn't get me. i would put my shoes on the bed so the spiders couldn't get into them and lay in wait for me to put my foot into my shoe. why i keep going back to costa rica where they are freaking huge i don't know except that it's a God thing.
 
well since we're all listing our fears... i'm afraid of being a prey of man or beast... so i guess that means i'm afraid of being hunted. is that screwed up or what? I have no idea why i'm afraid of this
 
Post a Comment



<< Home