Sunday, August 01, 2004

Memory Lane

I've been reading Susy's blog, and have noted a stylistic difference between hers and mine. She is "young" and writes about what is currently happening in her life. I am "older", and mine contains memories. I'm okay with that, and you'll have to deal with it. So, here we go with today's memory trigger.
My sister and I went to lunch today, dining on the patio. I can't believe how much I ate!!! It made up for the last several days of being hungry and consuming painfully little food. I had roast beef, salad, raw veggies, mashed potatoes, one quarter of a Belgian waffle, and finished with a single serving box of Frosted Flakes. Actually, after the Frosted Flakes I had a bite of my sister's Rice Krispie square. But what I wanted to talk about was the cereal.
When I was about 9 years old I remember seeing those individual cereals on a store/restaurant shelf. One day while the family was traveling I was fortunate enough to be allowed to order one. Two things about it were so cool. The cereal was always junkier than what I was allowed to eat at home, and it was totally awesome that I could pour the milk straight into the box and eat from it! Life didn't get much more exotic than that moment in time. When I saw the boxes of cereal today I just had to have one! Disappointment set in though when I went to open it and saw that there are no longer perforations on the front of the box to open it up for using as a bowl. Kellogs expected me to be satisfied with pouring it into a real bowl to eat...where would the fun be in that? My sister and I explained to the server that for emotional reasons it was important that I be able to eat out of the box. The server came back with a knife. Well, that didn't work, so we sent her away to get us some scissors. We were on a mission. 5 minutes later I was in my glory, reliving my childhood, grinning and proclaiming "Isn't it the best to eat junky cereal out of a box?" That was a happy moment.
After I finished I was spent. I leaned back in the chair, hung my legs over the arm of it, slipped on my shades and kicked back in the sun. I may not be welcome back there again.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home