Thursday, August 26, 2004

I Believe

Our son is an extrovert. He loves people and he especially loves being noticed by people. This can cause behaviour problems. Let's just say...well...he's brain dead sometimes. This Kindergarten year had been a challenge for him, his teacher, and us. Academically he is very bright, and he is scary intuitive as I've mentioned before. But those things can be clouded on some bad days, by the lack of thought in the choices he makes..
As I would walk Matthew to school I would at times talk to him about having a good day and making the right behaviour choices. On a number of occasions he would say "But mommy, I don't think I can have a good day." He would sound so discouraged. I told him that anything could happen if he believed enough. He told me he couldn't believe. I would tell him I believed enough for both of us.
On some other school walks I would be discouraged about something (perhaps thinking Matthew would never "get it" or afraid to start my own daycare business and quit my "secure" bank job). Matthew would ask me what was wrong and I would tell him my discouragement. He would tell me everything was going to be okay, and I would respond by saying I wasn't sure. His answer: "Mommy, if you believe in something enough it will happen. That's what you say, right?" As adults we all know that's an oversimplified version of life. But sometimes that's the only version we need.

We need someone to believe in us more than we believe in ourselves. And we need to hear it said. It may not always change what's happening around us, but it gives us hope and haven. For those of you who believe in some of us this way, thank you.

The following is from a Bob Dylan tune. Others quote theologists and renowned thinkers of our time. Music is what speaks to me.

I believe in you even through the tears and the laughter
I believe in you even though we be apart
I believe in you even on the morning after
Oh, when the dawn is nearing
Oh, when the night is disappearing
Oh, this feeling is still here in my heart.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home