Friday, August 20, 2004

Check the foundation

Not too long ago I went to see The Village. Out of the 3 other I've talked to who have seen this movie, I'm the only one who really liked it. So, bear with me during this post, while I express my movie viewpoint. If you're planning to see it, you may not want to read this, as it will spoil the movie for you.
It was billed as something of a (psycholical) thriller. I had asked "Is this a horror?" on the way into the theatre. The answer was, "Well, bad things jump out at you." I thought "Great. The Sixth Sense grossed me out with its gruesome scenes. Now I'm going to cover my eyes during the movie and make a fool of myself."
The setting was rural Pennsylvania, approximately 100 years ago. The village was self-supporting and the people never left. They couldn't because the surrounding woods were populated by "those we don't speak of". They were beasts that were waiting for the people to enter the woods, where the people would be ravaged. They hadn't been sighted in a long time, but there were those who remembered sightings. The council of adults. "Those we don't speak of" were enticed by the color red, so everything red was destroyed, including flowers. Annual sacrifice was made to the creatures to appease them. The fear of the unseen and unknown gripped them so tightly that they were victims to the fear. One young man chose not to give in to the fear, and asked to go beyond the woods to get medicine that would help some of the villagers. Suddenly "signs" of "those we don't speak of" began to appear. Animals were maimed. There were "sightings".
In an act of jealousy, a mentally challenged young man stabbed the one who was asking permission to go get medicine, which would help him. I'll go back to this one in a minute.
During the course of the movie we find out that the creatures aren't real. They were made up by the village founders in order to keep the village isolated. It was the 21st century. The council of elders were originally a support group (like AA) for victims of violence. They had all experienced family members being brutally slain and this village cut off from society was their way of escaping the evil around them.
When addressing the stabbing with the council, the founder said "That which we have sought to escape has happened among us."
Do you see the irony? They sought to create a utopia, building it on a foundation of lies. They sought to escape evil, but brought it with them. They created fear in order to "protect" their children (many now young adults) from being afraid of being violated "in the towns". But they, in doing so, violated their children with their untruths. Though they removed themself from all outside influence and malice, it was still present in their village. It was intrinsic.

What have you tried to escape from? What lies do you have to tell to create an alternate reality? Who do you deceive? Others...or yourself?



Comments:
I really liked this movie too annette, although I figured out the twist just through the trailers. It made me think about how far we might go as people to create our own utopia. The sad fact is that sin is so much a part of us that there will never be a perfect place this side of heaven. Much as I try not to I will hurt those I love, and they will hurt me. Made me think of the importance of learning forgiveness this side of heaven, in order to enjoy the benefits of it now.
 
i liked it too. went with a friend and we both thot it was good.
 
The friends I polled about this movie were guys. Interesting that 3 women (so far) like it. So, it makes me think that the reason why women like it and men don't is because it didn't end as a terror, with bood and guts everywhere. Maybe the psychological stuff was too DEEP for the guys?
Yes, that's bait, men.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home