Thursday, August 12, 2004

Can I? Can I?????

"Can I have dessert now, mom?"
"No, son, it's not time yet. Wait."
3 minutes later, "Is it time for dessert yet mom?"
"No, son, and the next time you ask there will be no dessert at all."
Son comes over to mom 5 minutes later, smiling."Mom..."
"Son, you had better think about what you're going to say next."
Son contemplates for a moment then leans against mom. "I just wanted to give you a hug."
Sometimes kids are smooth.

How much is this like me with God? I have had phases in life where I've been upset that something isn't happening the way I want. Or I'm expecting some trouble at work, don't want to work, want another child. I used to think about the situation constantly, imagining the ending that I so desired. It's hard not knowing the ending, and if it will be opposite to what I so want and "deserve". After all, I don't ask for much in life, so why can't the few things I crave be mine? Somehow I felt that if I obsessed about the situation, prayed about it constantly, told God how small of a thing it was compared to many others but how big it was to me then...I would get dessert right away. If He knew how serious this was to me then surely it would swing my way. Once in a while I need to revisit this lesson, but thankfully it's not like it was. Sometimes I really do only want a hug.


Comments:
and you thought I was such a mean mom....i knew there was a lesson in there somewhere! (or maybe I was just too lazy to get up and get the pudding)
 
Lazy parenting? Nope! You did exactly what I've done lots.
And by the way, come out of the closet...you don't need to post anonymously!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home