Friday, August 27, 2004

All the way

I’m not a person who loves water, except for my 20 minute showers where after I’m done washing (twice to extend my time in it) I stand there thinking there must be something else I can do in order to prolong getting out. If there’s hot water left in the tank then I’m not done! Everybody has a vice.
My first time on a waterslide was in 1994, when I was 30. Sounds weird hey? It was an indoor one at a hotel. I was freaked to go down it, because it meant plunging into the pool and losing control of my circumstances. How far under would I go? How long would I have to hold my breath? If I closed my eyes (and I surely would) how could I see any potential danger or sense direction? Screwy hey?
Then there was the time I went on the outdoor water slides at TransCanada 3 years ago, took one slide and became airborne off the side of the slide where I almost got shot off onto the concrete halfway down the hill. Fortunately last year it went much better.
Lately we’ve been going to the lake for quick trips, even when it has been raining. We all take turns “cliff jumping”. It’s not much of a cliff, but enough for Matthew, the dogs and I. I watched Brander and Matthew jump once, and thought "It's time to put this to rest." Brander pointed out the lower ledge for me, and off I went! The next time I went from the top, a little nervous I wasn't going to jump out far enough. But on another day, I got on the top, said "Watch me!" and jumped. Of course, I had to make a big deal about it too..."I jumped!" Small feat for some people, but a big feat for me.
Now you may be wondering why I’m writing in such detail. Let me flesh it out for you.
We all have fears. I’m fraught with them. Most are based in past experience or the experience of others. Many are realistic, and also paralyzing. Years ago there would have been no way I would have jumped off a “cliff” any higher than a diving board. I would have spent time studying all the angles of the water, the rocks, the trees, watched everyone else jump, freaked out, not done it, and gone home feeling like a loser. Enough is enough. The best way to conquer fear is to set your thoughts aside and just GO.
Sometimes we need to just get wet.

Maybe I’ll go skydiving next….


Comments:
you shame me annette.

years ago i watched a skydiver whose chute didn't open. i was 20 feet away when the jump ended. i have been asked to go skydiving by friends, but have always chickened out.

if you get up the courage to go, give me a call. maybe we can support each other.

Rose
 
I said "maybe". If I get up the guts Rose, I'll give you a call.
 
annette,
i appreciate your heart on this. it's easy to talk big in our areas of comfort, it's another thing to step out over the edge when we are miles from our comfort zone. maybe jumping that edge may not be a leap of faith for me, but i would never attempt some of the things you consider routine. i love your guts.

ps - if you ever do go skydiving and do a tandem maybe i'll jump out with you and video!
 
just edit the screams.
Rose
 
i have a waterslide story from costa rica... cement water slides that i swear are faster and smoother than the plasic ones we have here. they are so fast that you really should not lie down on them.. trust me. when i went there with a highschool group from Amparo I passed a kid on the waterslide, he was sitting i wasn't so i zoomed right by him and freakwed him out... and it's not like i didn't give ample time before i started down the slide after him.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home